Happy Halloween! As we embark on the night of sweet confections, it is important to remember that we need to keep up our dental routines in order to maintain a healthy mouth. Otherwise, we may get cavities, which will result in needing a filling.
Once cavities start to develop you must have the decayed
areas of the tooth removed and filled with a durable material. The choices you
are offered to fill the void are composite filling or silver amalgam, more
commonly known as silver fillings. Before there were composite filling, the
only filling choice patients had was the traditional silver fillings.
Fortunately, there have been many advances in dentistry and now there is a more
aesthetically pleasing option with composite fillings, also known as tooth-colored
fillings. First, let’s take a look at composite fillings…
- Preserves more of your natural tooth
- No health risks with composite fillings
- Composite fillings can be matched to your
- Reports of less post-treatment sensitivity and
- Composite fillings are higher in cost
- Tooth colored fillings require more skill on
your dentist’s part
And now, for the silver amalgam options…
- Silver fillings are lower is cost due to the
- Doesn’t require special tools or techniques to
- Longer lasting compared to tooth colored
- Take less time to place
- Temperature changes in the mouth can cause the
silver fillings to contract or expand over time
- Silver amalgam is noticeable
- Some patients fear the potential danger of
mercury found in the material
- More of the natural tooth has to be removed
For more information about fillings, call Drs. Barmby and Frick in Walnut Creek, CA at 925-934-5526 or visit www.barmbyfrickprosthodontics.com.
Drs. Barmby and Frick proudly serve patients from Walnut Creek and all surrounding areas.